HOME INTERIOR 2011 TODAY

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 19, 2007

6 months at Google teaches you what?



My name’s Dave and I’m the outgoing Google Australia receptionist (outgoing in the sense that Mark is the incoming receptionist). I’m finishing my 6 month stint with Google Australia in about 15 minutes before travelling up the coast in a tiny little van with no air-conditioning.

So what have I done and what have I learned while being here?

2 major things that the receptionist needs to have here is a quick wit and a big smile. When I started here at Google I thought I knew a thing or two about what they [we?] did. I thought I knew about our products and exactly what they do… … oh how wrong I was; and who better to highlight my ignorance than the person on the other end of the phone! People phone up about products that I never knew existed, new releases I had no idea about, and BANG! I was expected to know.

The Google support pages became my bible as I would quickly guide people to the answer on the interweb or ping experts around the Google world. Every query that I passed on to my colleagues around the world was answered promptly. There is a fantastic sense of co-operation between Googlers on all shores and I think the recruitment team deserve a big well done for their efforts in selecting people who will gel as a team. Which brings me to the people…

…The people here are some of the most intelligent and vibrant people I will ever meet. I can’t point fingers or name names as the space is limited but laughs in this place are infectious, and I have never once felt like ‘just a receptionist’ or a temporary visitor – I have been part of the family. I was told that there are lots of dark horses in this office and that is very much the truth. Someone I’d known for weeks mentioned off-hand that they have a doctorate in philosophy; another – doubtless the queen of charisma with tiara to match – used to be an actress.

So how do you go about joining? We’re always looking for talented people to join us and expanding all the time. The bar is high, but if you’ve got the skills and enthusiasm then you'll fit right in. Go to the jobs page and apply. You’ll love it.

Ed: We'll miss you, Dave!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HOME INTERIOR TODAY
HOME INTERIOR TODAY
Msn bot last visit powered by Scriptme